Introduction and Background
Touch Medical software products began in April 2010, just as the CCHIT governing body was poised to set standards for ‘Meaningful Use’ of electronic systems in medicine by ‘Eligible Providers’. In 2012 Touch Medical Solutions will offer a full-featured Practice Management Suite (PACS/RIS/EHR) that is completely configurable in size and cost for use by single practitioners, small clinics, and hospitals.
The Touch Medical Solutions Mission
Our mission at Touch Medical Solutions is to bring cutting edge Enterprise PACS/RIS/EHR technology traditionally only available to large practices and institutions to physicians and facilities of all sizes.
The TouchPACS Login Screen
PACS, RIS and Diagnostic Imaging
TouchPACS is a Class II FDA 510k registered Image Management (PACS) solution (Jan 2012) combined with an elegant Information Management System (RIS)
Features of the TouchPACS Product:
- Simplified workflow and customizable interfaces allowing more efficiently and reducing costs.
- Interoperability between other hospital PACS systems via DICOM Query/Retrieve (C-Find, C-Get).
- Data storage via advanced compression including RLE, j2k (jpeg2000), jpeg, and avi loops (cardio and ultrasound) and the system supports color and B/W image formats.
- Integrated DICOMCD as an export format, and are including options for wrapping patient HL7 reporting on CDs.
- Scalable solution allowing a minimal amount of initial hardware and software investment while providing a framework for unlimited growth.
The TouchPACS Workstation Desktop in use
- On site professional training and 24×7 telephone support ensures your users are able to take full advantage of TouchPACS features and abilities.
- Integrated Patient Scheduling and appointment management.
- Integrated, customizable Document Management
- Modality Worklist Support for bridging the gap from a clinical schedule to modalities.
- Referring physician portal allowing for web based interaction with clinical partners.
A Practice Management Tablet
- Web & Tablet Support for efficient and mobile structure of office workflow (non-diagnostic imaging only).
- Supports proper segmentation and registration of images providing scout and multi-scout windowing with accurate cut and measurement lines.
- Imaging supports onion-skin overlays and secondary image capture, including Region of Interest (ROI) captures, calculation of angles (for orthopedics) , and display of Hounsfield Units (fluid density in CT), along with standard annotating, drawing, and measuring capabilities.
- Process non-diagnostic DM (Digital Mammography via MRI) to the desktop for wet reading.
- Supports up to 9 image frames per monitor, includes support for multiple monitors (with a typical target of 3 monitors per full PACS station), and are customizable based on customer needs.
Onionskin Layers for Annotations
- Images are displayed in cine-loop format, and can be adjusted for Windowing/Leveling and other transformations at the series, image, or exam level.
- Image transformations are both stored as valid DICOM hanging protocols and optionally as user preferences including use of doctor customized hotkeys, bookmarks, and teaching files for framing an exam.
CD Export via DICOMDIR
- Integrated dictation/transcription (speech to text) and accommodates any associated office workflow documents directly to the PACS desktop as Adobe PDFs.
- Our workflow model is truly paperless, and allows for fax/scan/email integration directly in line with exam reading.
PACS Desktop, Report and Attachments Panel
- Integration of the PACS within an HL7 data model includes full availability for MPPS (Modality Perform Procedure Step) and Modality Worklist(MWL) from either an existing RIS/PM solution, or internally, to reduce data entry errors.
- Web portal partnership agreement.
PACS Workstation Default Desktop and Picklist
PACS Workstation, showing Prior Exam for Patient and Report Review
General System Features
- Standards-Based Design
- The system uses HL7 for document formatting, government reporting, and procedure interaction within the logic model.
- Our PACS is based on DICOM v3 and includes SCU SCP, MWL, PPS, and QR.
- Our EMR is based on HL7 v2.51 Messaging and will conform to Ambulatory CCHIT Certification Guidelines (2011/12).
- Documents use the HL7-CDA model (v3) for construction and formatting and storage is in Adobe PDF format, making exports and translation uniform for system document interoperability.
- Our product uses the National Library of Medicine (NLM) Meta-thesaurus vocabularies, allowing precise coding of Rx (RxNorm, UNII, National Drug File), Insurance (CPT-4, CPT-2010), diseases and problems (ICD-9, ICD-10, SNOMED, LOINC), and drug allergies (UNII, NDF). Touch Medical is a registered Vendor with the NLM, and is licensed to resell all included vocabularies domestically (International licenses are available as well under a separate fee schedule).
- Using Microsoft Products
- All products were programmed in MS Visual Studio 2010 in C#/XAML, using the advanced WPF and Silverlight frameworks.
- All products are natively available as 32 or 64-bit releases, and were developed in purely 64-bit environments.
- All products are version controlled and managed via MS Team Server to assure product quality control.
- The suite is centrally deployed on MS SQL Server 2008 via Windows Server, and the system was designed with advanced multi-site replication usage and large data storage scalability in mind.
- Royalty Free
- All components (excepting MS database and server licensing and clearinghouse services) are royalty free, and under no distribution restrictions.
- Service-Based Returns
- Systems are typically sold turn-keyed with all equipment, and will be supported by Touch Medical directly going forward so that we can provide a buffer between hardware vendors for non-technical clinics during the critical support time during product installation.
- Security and Session Behavior
- User sessions and software clients wrap HIPAA and IHE requirements natively, allowing for full software client distribution for performance (rather than using Citrix as a workaround, our software clients can deal with encrypting patient data on the fly).
Summary and Conclusion
The TouchPACS solution provides a cost effective, efficient platform for use in small to mid-sized hospitals and clinics with diagnostic imaging needs.